These are the current outcomes of my earlier tag cleanup proposal.
Two of our beloved moderators, Elmy and Lila, both helped out with this as well. Thank you to Journeyman Geek for offering feedback (with Elmy) on the initial proposal. Thank you to everyone else who participated or helped.
These excerpts are from my proposal.
Tag creation proposal - to create a tag search-and-rescue (although I am flexible to an alternate tag name).
Results: Successful! The tag lost-pets (name suggested by Journeyman Geek) has been created.
- Details: It already has 21+ questions! I also gave it an appropriate tag wiki and excerpt.
As long as the question includes relevant detail, and is generally focused on "lost pets", this tag should be included. Not to be confused with strays. Other related tags include safety, containment, adoption, and behavior.
For questions about finding a lost pet, identifying the owner of a lost pet, questions about lost pets in general, and similar. Not to be confused with the tag "stray".
- Additional info: Please apply this to questions when appropriate. Right now, this tag is completely done, and all that is left is to track down the few related questions and add it (which I encourage anyone to do, regardless of rep, a good search to start with is this) as well as remembering to add it to new questions.
- Results: Idea rejected.
- Details: Turns out this is a legit tag that is an exception to the "meta tag" rule, so it should be kept. In fact, we need to add questions to it, but that is a project for another day (maybe after summer I will take on this).
- Results: Idea rejected.
Results: Successful! Thanks to Elmy, these tags have been combined.
For questions about the process of adopting pets from a shelter or animal rescue organization and about any problem that might arise in the context of such an adoption. With "shelter" we mean any establishment that temporarily takes ownership for pets, regardless of whether it's maintained by private organizations, local government, or supported by charitable contributions,
Any establishment that provides a temporary home for dogs, cats, and other animals that are offered for adoption.
- Additional info: Please apply this to questions when appropriate. Right now, this tag is completely done, and all that is left is to track down the many related questions and add it (which I encourage anyone and everyone to do, regardless of rep, a good search to start with is this, remember not questions about pets that were shelter animals, questions directly related to shelters and rescue organizations) as well as remembering to add it to new questions.
- tag clothes should be made synonyms with attire. And attire should have the "collar" part in its description removed because of tag leashes includes collars. Also collar should be made synonyms with leashes. To clarify, there would be two separate tags out of this bunch, attire would be one, which would include clothes and then leashes would now include collar and it would be made separate from attire.
Results: Successful, but slightly tweaked!
- Details: In the end, I just removed clothes. It is not a synonym as there were so few questions tagged with it. However, I did get the "collar" part in its description removed. See this change to attire here and here. Due to feedback, I decided to create a new tag, collar, instead of merging its scope with leashes. I also updated leashes wiki and excerpt, view these changes here and here. Finally, I gave collar a wiki and excerpt:
For questions about the band/ring used around a pet's neck (typically a dog, but can be used for other pets too) to restrain, decorate, control, or protect.
The band/ring used around a pet's neck (typically a dog, but can be used for other pets too) to restrain, decorate, control, or protect.
- Additional info: Please add leashes, attire and collar to questions when appropriate. Right now, these tags are almost done. We have to track down the many related questions and add the appropriate tags (which I beg anyone and everyone to do, regardless of rep, a good search to start with could be "collar", "leashes", "clothes", or "costumes".) Because collar is a new and incomplete tag, there are at least 30 relevant questions that can use it.
- Results: Due to lack of opinion and some confusion, I have decided not to do anything about this. Feel free to figure this out yourself... but for now, most likely this topic will be dormant.
- Results: Successful! Tag competitions is now the head tag.
For questions about any type of competition for pets, such as animal racing or dog shows. Please use for anything directly related to competitions, showings, showmanship, conformation shows, and similar. Related tags include training, pet-selection, and agility. Also use the breed participating in the competition's tag as well (e.g. dogs).
Any type of competition for pets, such as animal racing or dog shows. Please use for anything directly related to competitions, showings, showmanship, conformation shows, and similar.
- Additional info: Please add any relevant questions to competitions, although it is a lesser-used topic so this won't be hard. Other than that, this tag is fully complete!
That is the end of Part 1. Again thank you, and please work with me to edit the newly added or forgotten tags into questions. Participation in this tag-editing work can be tedious, but it will pay off!
Anyhow... thanks again. Expect a Part 2 in the fall.
If you have feedback for this process or the results, I'd love to hear it as an answer to this announcement.